Cushioning and stability from preceding versions is retained and expanded upon with the Mizuno Wave Rider 18 Running Shoes through a redesigned upper which sees several overlays removed to offer greater freedom in the forefoot. Finer mesh detailing works with the honeycombing of Mizuno's Intercool technology to deliver even more breathability with an internal structure that conforms to your running stride, in turn improving both fit and comfort. SR Touch again features, but this time lighter. A softer heel with cushioning compound giving yielding improved impact resistance upon heelstrike and a much smoother transition period. The Mizuno U4iC Wave midsole has been designed to be unlike comparable shoe technologies. When the foot touches the ground, Wave attenuates and redirects impact forces away from the foot. Acting much like a car's suspension, it cushions and keeps the foot centred in the shoe throughout the stride. Through the use of differing wave shapes and designs, Mizuno are ultimately equipping each model to fit the unique stride of the individual runner; if its a local jog or running past the 20 mile marker, Wave will always feel amazing underfoot. Research carried out by Mizuno has indicated that there is a significant difference between the biomechanics of the male and female running gait. Tests revealed that the angle, velocity and speed of pronation is higher in women than in men. Research has also found that the transition from foot strike to toe off is slower in men than in women and that the angle at which the heel contacts the ground is more severe in women than in men. As such, Mizuno products employ specific male/female designs that accommodate these differences.
- SR Touch - A finer density cushioning compound in the heel absorbs impact stress better than previous technologies.
- U4iC - A lightweight midsole compound delivers effective cushioning through a format that is 30% lighter than the previous AP+ midsole technology.
- Dynamotion Fit - Through extensive research, Mizuno have discovered that traditional footwear distorts in the collar and heel during the gait cycle, resulting in heel slippage and a poor fit. This technology relieves the stress the foot naturally places on footwear, thereby eliminating discomfort for a perfect fit.
- Mizuno Intercool - An innovative, full-length ventilation system delivers outstanding breathability and comfort.
- Mizuno Wave - Provides cushioning by dispersing impact forces across a larger surface area. Stability is afforded by differing constructions of the lateral and medial sections of the outsole, whereby midsole compression is resisted in high pressure areas, namely, the medial side. This dynamic method of managing overpronation is far less intrusive than traditional medial posts.